Friday 7 November 2014

Gone-A Book Review||❤

Gone
By Michael Grant
Publication Date: January 1st 2008 (This edition 2009)

Suddenly there were no adults, no answers. What would you do? In the blink of an eye, the world changes. The adults vanish without a trace, and those left must do all they can to survive. But everyone's idea of survival is different. Some look after themselves, some look after others, and some will do anything for power.

I didn't expect to finish this book so quick. It has a massive 560 pages and I still managed to finish it over the course of the weekend. Maybe it was because I had nothing better to do! 

This book was weird to me. I mean the concept was brilliant but some things just made me squirm in my seat! I mean if it was like two 17 years olds telling eachother they love eachother I wouldn't have an issue, but it is two 14 year olds who have only talked for under a week, they kissed twice and suddenly the are inseparable. I'm sorry but I just found it odd, unsettling and weird. I also thought that the violence was a bit at it's excess. I mean really? A 10 year old beating another child to death!!! That is just disturbing and the way they openly swore, there is also one kid who is an alcoholic! I personally just thing it is inappropriate for the characters to have these adult  habits/traits. I would've loved it if they upped the age by around 3 years then maybe you can add psycho killers and alcoholics.

Over a, I thought this book was alright. It didn't wow me enough for me to be bounding off my seat but I do think that it has some potential. I also found out that a show called Sparticle  Mystery on CBBC is based partly o this book. I watched a bit of the first episode on YouTube and it looks interesting, but it's just not my cup of tea. If you are really into adventurous books then this one is for you! Personally, I found it quite sickening.
Keep Reading,
Naomi...xxx

Share:

3 comments:

  1. I've read this book and enjoyed it but like you said it's not something I'm dying to recommend

    http://enchantedbyya.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/top-five-friday-4-books-i-wish-to-re.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeh, it doesn't seem like something I would carry on reading!

      Delete
  2. Yes, I can agree that this book is pretty violent and graphic when it comes to it. But I think it wouldn't be surprising what kids can do when they are left on their own. I just imagine a lot of gangs from my home country and I know they are probably capable of this... especially if you give them powers!

    This is one of my favourite books of all time <3 It's a shame you didn't like it as much as I did, but I do understand!

    ReplyDelete