Monday 21 July 2014

Rebel Angels- A Book Review||❤ *Spoiler Alert*

I have decided that now I will doing 2 book reviews every weeks so the blog can stay active and I might add the feature 'Waiting on Wednesdays'.
Today I will be reviewing the historical novel, Rebel angels by Libba Bray.
The Amazon description says: "In this thrilling sequel, Gemma continues to pursue her destiny to bind the magic of the Realms and restore it to the Order. Gemma and her friends from Spence use magical power to transport themselves on visits from their corseted world of Victorian London (at the height of the Christmas season), to the visionary country of the Realms, with its strange beauty and menace. There they search for the lost Temple, the key to Gemma's mission, and comfort Pippa, their friend who has been left behind in the Realms. After these visits they bring back magical power for a short time to use in their own world. Meanwhile, Gemma is torn between her attraction to the exotic Kartik, the messenger from the opposing forces of the Rakshana, and the handsome but clueless Simon, a young man of good family who is courting her. This is the second book in Libba Bray's engrossing trilogy, set in a time of strict morality and barely repressed sensuality, about a girl who saw another way."


First of all I want to tell you guys how awesome this book is. It has introduced a totally new genre to me which I now officially love! I thought that this book was different and I like the idea of women being the heroes and the ones who save the day because now these day more female heroes are becoming dominant in books. At only one part in the book which made me cringe was at the end of chapter seven. It made me wince slightly at how it was addressed and the way the chapter ended made me laugh for a bit. Other than that I found it so gripping. I was shivering and some parts which were quite haunting and I liked the idea of another world other than the one we live in. I liked how it set in a time where being person who had vision and had access to another world where thought as crazy. Now a days you can say you had visions in your sleep and the whole world would believe it and you would be able to make so much money from it. 

Sadly I haven't read the first book of the trioligy mainly because I had never heard of it and the cover had caught my eye in the school library. I was in a rush and didn't know which book to pick so I went to the new/popular book shelf and picked up a random book. I wish that I had read the first one, mainly because then I would've understood the storyline and the characters way better. Like Miss Moore, I knew nothing about her and her like to the story but I had to do a bit of research before carrying on with the book.


What made the book even more scary was when *Spoiler Alert* Nell keeps on saying the nursery rhyme Jack and Jill but never finishes it. It is always the sweet and cute rhymes which scare me the most when they are said in a frightful way. I could just imagine this being a horror film. Also another part was when Gemma was visiting the hospital her brother worked at and when a mute man suddenly talks to her and snaps his jaw like a dog I was on the edge of my seat, I liked how all along and for the whole book it convinced you that one character was the villain but then there is a sudden plot twist! This book is definitely making it's way up my top ten best reads. Overall I would give it a 4.5/5 because there was just that one cringeworthy bit which just made it miss the full marks.

Keep Reading 
Naomi...xxx 
Share:

0 comments:

Post a Comment