Monday 1 June 2015

The Summer I Turned Pretty-A Book Review||❤

The Summer I Turned Pretty
By Jenny Han
Publication Date: 1st January 2015
Rating: 4/5 stars
Every year Isabel spends a perfect summer at her family friends' house. There's the swimming pool at night, the private stretch of sandy beach... and the two boys.

Unavailable, aloof Conrad - who she's been in love with forever - and friendly Jeremiah, the only one who's ever really paid her any attention. But this year something is different.

My Thoughts
I was stressing over my school work and I was in need of a quick read which would make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. I have heard a lot about Jenny Han in the past and her books have been raved about so many times so I decided to pick up one of her books to see if she was any good. As it is nearing summer and that means that it is  the time to stock up on cute contemporary reads and fall head over heels into fictional boys.

Conrad. Conrad, Conrad, Conrad. The swoon worthy bad boy who was oh so perfect. He had the signature smirk, he was a fun person, even with the hard exterior but cared and he was just down right gorgeous. I just wanted to grab Conrad out of the book and take him hostage (alright I am getting weird now...) forever. Yes he did smoke cigarettes and was probably the hottest guy in town but I just couldn't get over the guy. Although he didn't really appear in the book that much, Conrad was one of those characters you longed to learn more and more about and was a like a complete mystery throughout the book. Isabel was quite an annoying character. She thought she was grown up and tried to act something she wasn't but ended up looking immature and clueless throughout the book. I am all about going with your gut instinct but it seemed liked everything Isabel did was out of spite and not to benefit others. This put her in a negative light for me.

I love Jenny Han's writing style. It is laid back and really voices from a teenagers perspective. It was almost like my friend was telling me about their summer and I felt like I could connect with the book. I loved the concept of the book and how Isabel tried to get over this person even though she only saw them at around summer time. One thing I couldn't get over was her nickname 'Belly' it was ridiculous and annoyed the hell out of me. I didn't know whether it was meant to be cute or funny or was put there to aggravate me but could they just have called her 'Bel' or something remotely normal like that.


This book was about living in the moment and doing what you have always wanted to before it is taken away from you and that is what I love about the book. I don't mean by living in the now for your whole life and being a ridiculous person but I mean by taking chances which you will only get in your teenage years and doing what you longed to do before you are treated in a more adult way and all this pressure is put onto your shoulders.

Overall, I really did enjoy this book and I will definitely carry on with this series because I already have the second book in the series so I can't wait to finish it. Also I hope to explore Jenny Han more as an author because she is just awesome!

Keep Reading,
Naomi...xxx
Share:

5 comments:

  1. This series was amazing and so addictive! It really made me warm and fuzzy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this book and I'm not someone who reads lots of contemporary! Your edition has a really awesome cover. Far nicer than the one with the girl on it. Nice review. Have fun reading the remaining two books :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am 91% done with this one, I am really enjoying it so far. I actually am going to take a bath and finish it right now!
    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you liked it! I have not read any from Jenny Han inspite of the hype on her books. I have and ebook of To All The Boys I Loved Before but never startes to read it. I guess I just like the cute cover of it. LOL. Lovely review!

    Yani @ www.paperboulevard.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you liked this! I've read her book To All The Boys I've Loved Before and I loved it so I'm really excited to read this :) Great review!

    ~Cari @ My Addiction:Books

    ReplyDelete