Thursday 25 February 2016

HORROR BOOK REVIEWS||

*Both books mentioned were received in exchange for honest reviews. This is no way effected my opinion on these books*
Hi Guys,
Last year one of my personal goals was to step out of my comfort zone a tiny bit more. This included my reading. I used to only read books like "Angus, Thongs and Full Frontal Snoggimg" which are cutesy tween reads. I started to read more fantasy which I have now become obsessed with and different genres like steampunk and historical fiction. One genre I hadn't dived into completely was horror because I get scared so easily but I enjoy being scared. Today I will be reviewing two horror books which I enjoyed that I would recommend if you feel like being scared a bit!

THE DARK ROOM BY TOM BECKER
When Darla and her feckless dad, Hopper, move to Saffron Hills, Darla hopes it'll be a new start for the both of them. But she stands no chance of fitting in with the image-obsessed in-crowd at her new school. Then one of her classmates is brutally killed when taking a photo of herself. A murder Darla herself predicted in a bloody vision. When more teens die in a similar fashion it appears that a serial killer is on the loose - the 'Selfie Slayer'. Darla alone is convinced that the murderer might not be flesh and blood

MY THOUGHTS
I personally loved this book! It gave me the right kind of chills and really had me on the edge off seat. I liked how  modern elements were added to make the story more relatable for a younger audience and it gave of an eery feel to the book. This was a gripping, action packed and fun read which I would definitely recommend to anyone who is looking for a horror book to send a shiver down their spine! I overall gave this book a 4.5/5 stars.

THE HAUNTING BY ALEX BELL


Some curses grow stronger with time…
People say that all Cornish inns are haunted, but the Waterwitch’s history is particularly chilling. Built from the salvaged timber of a cursed ship, the guest house’s dark secrets go further back than anyone can remember.
Emma is permanently confined to a wheelchair after an accident at the Waterwitch which took place when she was ten. Seven years later, she decides to return to the place where the awful event occurred. But the ancient inn still has its ghosts, and one particular spirit is more vengeful than ever…
A chilling new title in the Red Eye horror series from the author of Frozen Charlotte.
MY THOUGHTS
Although this book was a fun read, I didn't enjoy it as much as I wanted to. I had high hopes for the book but it took me so long to get through it as it didn't pull me in as much as The Dark Room. Nonetheless, it was a fun read and I did like the diversity in this book by having one of the main protagonists in a wheel chair who is strong minded and thoughtful. It still held the creep factor and I would recommend this book if you're into historical horror! I gave this book a 3/5 stars.

Keep Reading,
Naomi...xxx
Share:

2 comments:

  1. These sound like cool books! I recently signed up for a horror literature course in my school, and so I'm excited to experience a new genre that I've never read before!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, are these part of the same series of genre books? As they have very similar covers. I do enjoy a bit or horror here and there, something to keep you on the edge of your seat. Dark Room sounds like the better read though, so glad you enjoyed these Naomi, wonderful reviews! <3

    ReplyDelete