Friday 14 November 2014

The Perks Of Being A Wallflower-A Book Review||❤

The Perks Of Being A Wallflower
By Stephen Chbosky
Publication Date: 1999 (This edition August 2012)

Charlie is a freshman. And while he's not the biggest geek in the school, he is by no means popular. Shy, introspective, intelligent beyond his year yet socially awkward, he is a wallflower, caught between trying to live his life and trying to run from it. Charlie is attempting to navigate his way through uncharted territory: the world of first dates and mix tapes, family dramas and new friends; the world of sex, drugs, and The Rocky Horror Picture Show, when all one requires is that perfect song on that perfect drive to feel infinite. But he can't stay on the sidelines forever. Standing on the fringes of life offers a unique perspective. But there comes a time to see what it looks like from the dance floor. The Perks of Being a Wallflower is a deeply affecting coming-of-age story that will spirit you back to those wild and poignant roller-coaster days known as growing up.

I didn't really get this book. It was awesome how it was written in letter form but I just don't get the hype of the book. The movie is amazing hands down, the book as a whole was just a bit difficult to understand. The book didn't really have a plot which did actually have me confused at times.


Charlie is quite an emotionally troubled character. The people who were extremely close to him, his Aunt Helen and his best friend Michael, both died. He always blames himself for it and he was truly traumatised. He dropped down a year of school and didn't go in for a very long time. He finds new friends who are seniors who show him the life of having fun, going to parties and football games. He somehow finally feels like there are people there to understand him and he can understand other people.

I do understand what Charlie is going through, he was trying hard to fit in but everyone thought that he was weird or stupid. I think it is trying to speak through a teenagers point of view like how we worry all the time or take the wrong turns. It was written in diary form which most kids keep to just let all their feeling out and the book wasn't too formal. To be honest, I was expecting a bit more from the book mainly because it was constantly raved about and was adapted into a huge movie with Emma Watson (My women crush all day!) in it. And there was a bit too much action for me like he must be one unlucky guy! His aunt was molested, his bestfriend commited suicide and he uses a lot of drugs. Well that is just too eventful for me and I was sat there a bit baffed.

Overall, I thought this book was alright. It's wasn't worth all of the hype. I was confused a lot, but I can't lie, it was extremely sweet though.


Keep Reading,
Naomi...xxx
P.S. Sorry for the horrible review it is just that my music exams are today (friday when it is up) and for the past week I have been practising none stop!
Share:

2 comments:

  1. Shame you didn't like this much. hype can be a problem with expectations like you said. I saw the movie before I realised it was a book so I hope to read it but I have no immediate plans too. I hope you did okay in your music exam!

    http://enchantedbyya.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/review-sea-of-monsters-percy-jackson.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a big hype around this book and I have it on my TBR, but I have yet to try it or the movie in fact. It's a shame you didn't like it, and I hope you enjoy your next read a lot more!

    ReplyDelete