Monday 10 November 2014

The Scorch Trials-A Book Review||❤

The Scorch Trials
By James Dashner
Publication Date: October 12th 2010 (this edition August 2011)

The Scorch Trials picks up where The Maze Runner left off. The Gladers have escaped the Maze, but now they face an even more treacherous challenge on the open roads of a devastated planet.
And WICKED has made sure to adjust the variables and stack the odds against them.
Can Thomas survive in such a violent world?

The start of this book was extremely confusing for me. The boys get out of the trial, they meet a boy called Aris, they find out about another trial going on, they find tattoos on their necks and everyone is hungry and worried. That happened in around 40 pages. For me, I couldn't keep up with it all. I didn't feel like I got to know anything more about the characters, too many new things were squashed in at once that my brain couldn't actually take it all. I just sat there dazed re-reading each page over and over again. The change of events left me with unanswered questions.

I also felt like I didn't get to know the characters and their personalities didn't shine through as much. The person who confused me the most was Thomas.. Although he is the main character of the series it was like he wasn't part of the book and I didn't feel like I connected with him. Without Chuck making the smart comments it felt a bit lost, I do think it was a big mistake for Chuck to be killed because he was the character everyone instantly fell in love with but now he is gone there is no other likeable character, I found Jorge a weird person, I think by adding spanish words in italics it just made it even more annoying, It was like he only knew one spanish word. (Plus I just found out that Jorge is some 30 year-old guy! When did the book even say this??) 

To end it on a high-note, I do like the concept of it. I do like how there are different phases and how they incorporate the phrase 'WICKED is good' and it makes you want to read on and see what it means. I didn't actually take a break from reading it and actually finished it in a day, completely the opposite of what I had done with Allegiant. I liked how there were the infected and how the flare was explained to us/

But sorry I just had to add in just to spoil that high note, that what the hell was with the book and the zombie apocalypse ending I mean come on! I was expecting something better that a couple of zombies with bulbs on them. That might actually be one of the most boring ending of a book I have ever read in a long time. I expected not all of them to be safe, the Gladers we didn't really care about ended up dying, you know the ones who don't even have any names,
Another additonal thing would be a quote I found on the book which had me crying with laughter. 'Aris looked up finally, wiped a couple of tears from his cheeks. He did it without the slightest hint of shame, and Thomas suddenly knew he like the boy.' My exact reaction to this in my not books was; WHAT???. Did that first sentence even make any sense and I was laughing extremely hard.

I feel like this book review has become extremely long so I need to sum it up. Overall, I didn't really like the book. I would give it a solid 3star rating,

Keep Reading,
Naomi...xxx
Share:

1 comment:

  1. I think I would agree with that rating! I have read the entire series myself and enjoyed the movie quite a bit. But in my opinion the prequel was the best book of them all, and that was what I liked about them the most. I also think this was the weakest book in the trilogy, so if you keep reading I hope you like the next one more :D

    ReplyDelete