Friday 20 March 2015

The D.U.F.F-A Book Review||❤

The D.U.F.F: Designated Ugly Fat Friend
By Kodt Keplinger
Publication Date:September 7th 2010
Rating: 3/5
Seventeen-year-old Bianca Piper is cynical and loyal, and she doesn’t think she’s the prettiest of her friends by a long shot. She’s also way too smart to fall for the charms of man-slut and slimy school hottie Wesley Rush. In fact, Bianca hates him. And when he nicknames her “the Duff,” she throws her Coke in his face. 

But things aren’t so great at home right now, and Bianca is desperate for a distraction. She ends up kissing Wesley. Worse, she likes it. Eager for escape, Bianca throws herself into a closeted enemies-with-benefits relationship with him.
Until it all goes horribly awry. It turns out Wesley isn’t such a bad listener, and his life is pretty screwed up, too. Suddenly Bianca realizes with absolute horror that she’s falling for the guy she thought she hated more than anyone.
My Thoughts...
“First:
"Wesley Rush doesn’t chase girls. They chase him.”
Then:
“You’re right. Wesley Rush doesn’t chase girls, and I’m not chasing you”
But in the end:
"Wesley Rush doesn’t chase girls, but I’m chasing you" ♥” 

---
This book follows the life of a girl called Bianca who can't help but have gorgeous friends who always have the attention. She is always the third wheel at parties (they drink diet coke and dance) and is the person who has to drag her friends away from teenage boys who don't have good attention. When the schools well know jerk talks to her and labels her the D.U.F.F it doesn't do anything else but stick in her mind all the time. When she has to work with Wesley for a Scholl project, the sexual tension does seem to rise a bit. They end up in a loop of hooking up 3 times a weeks but nobody knows except for her and Wesley. She finds herself spending more time with Wesley than with her friends. Is she starting to fall for him?

As this books was up for offer on netgalley as a read now I couldn't resist a as everybody was linking to it and saying to get it so I gave in and had to! What I loved about this book was that it was hilarious. Wesley' s and Bianca' s light banter made the book even better and made the characters even more funny. This book is what you would call cliché, you know they story about the bad boy teazing the girl who who he wouldn't usually go for and they both start falling for each other but who doesn't like a tiny bit of cliché? What definitely saved me the book was that the characters were likeable. 

The only  thing which I didn't like about the book was the main character Bianca. I mean she was just annoying. She was always jumping between boys, making bad decisions and doing a brilliant job at being extremely irritating. I didn't like how she didn't have enough sense to listen to herself and suddenly decided to fall fir and hook up regularly with a guy who called her ugly and fat. Also she decided to ditch her friends completely for pleasure, to be honest I thought she was a bit stupid. I didn't feel like I connected with he well as I am not as reckless as her or as open. If Wesley called me a D.U.F.F I would've STOP talking to the boy a very long time ago however hot he was.

I liked the concept of the book but I did find it a tiny bit repetitive in a sense that she was always crawling back to Wesley and it just kept on concentrating on them which did get quite boring at times. I wanted to get to know Bianca' s friends a bit more, all I was really told was that they were pretty and met in quite a cliché way which wasn't that creative.

Overall, I would recommend this book if you are looking for a quick read to pass time. I read this in a night so it isn't a complete time waster.

Keep Reading,
Naomi...xxx





Share:

5 comments:

  1. Oh well... I guess this might not make the best contemporary read but, I don't know, it sounds fun, so I'm going to read it soon! Because I want to watch the movie too and feel like I should read the book before (because I heard it's completely different :P). Anyway, great review!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The book seems a little mainstream but I really enjoyed your review nonetheless.
    Zoha x
    zoeandtima.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had exactly the same issues with it Naomi, why would you want to have sex with someone that clearly has no respect for you, and in turn, she can't have had much self respect either. If someone was laughing at your expense and even commenting on your body, the last thing you'd do is take your clothes off and be intimate. Their banter was entertaining, but I found this more irritating than anything. I doubt I'll go and see the movie, seeing I really didn't enjoy this one too much. Lovely review Naomi, really enjoyed it <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really want to try this book and read it before it becomes a movie, as well as the fact that everyone seems to love it! It's a shame that you really couldn't like Bianca's character. :/ And even though this one does sound a bit cliché, a nice fun cliché read from time to time works for me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow, I could really relate to your review. I had some issues with it as well, but not enough to actually dislike the book. I thought Bianca was stupid as well, but not in the sense of hooking up with guys, but with her coming back to Wesley for an escape from everyone, even her friends. I get it, it's exciting, it's secretive and the one thing you can't have is always the one thing you're dying to have. So, I really liked that she was reckless and simply being a teenager. I liked how responsible she got at times as well :)

    Overall, it really was a book that you'd fly through, I totally agree with you and I seriously don't get how it is somebody's favorite book of all time.. honestly, I've read better. BUT, did you know Kody was actually 18 when she was writing this book? THAT is impressive!! :) ♥

    - Jumana @ http://booksbyj.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete