Friday 26 December 2014

The Fifth Wave-A Book Review||❤

The Fifth Wave (#1)
By Rick Yancey
Publication Date: May 7th 2013
Rating: 4.8/5


After the 1st wave, only darkness remains. After the 2nd, only the lucky escape. And after the 3rd, only the unlucky survive. After the 4th wave, only one rule applies: trust no one.


Now, it’s the dawn of the 5th wave, and on a lonely stretch of highway, Cassie runs from Them. The beings who only look human, who roam the countryside killing anyone they see. Who have scattered Earth’s last survivors. To stay alone is to stay alive, Cassie believes, until she meets Evan Walker.

Beguiling and mysterious, Evan Walker may be Cassie’s only hope for rescuing her brother—or even saving herself. But Cassie must choose: between trust and despair, between defiance and surrender, between life and death. To give up or to get up. 



My Thoughts...

The 5th wave follows the new world wrecked by 'The Others' or as they are known as, aliens. They plan to wipe out the earth and by doing that they attempt to wipe out the human race. It does seem to work though as billions die and more yet to come. They attack through a series of wave the first 'lights out', the second 'surfs up', the third 'pestilence', and the fourth 'silencers'. The 5th wave has started but they are clueless of what it is. What lengths will these others go to, to kill off humanity? 

This is probably hands down one of the best books I have read this year! It is filled with action, a sprinkle of romance and stir it together with a mindblowing concept. There you have a recipe for the perfect sci-fi book. I wasn't really a fan of sci-fi. It was kind of all same and I just wasn't that excited whenever a new one popped up but the 5th wave changed my whole outlook on the whole genre. A book which could completely change my mind on a genre needs an oscar asap!

 In the book we are switching from one perspective to another. Obviously, the first one would be the main character Cassie but the other one we don't know (it is not Evan, I repeat, it is not Evan) and have to figure out as the reader which is quite fun. It injects the feeling of suspense as you hang onto every single sentence trying to find out who is who. Also what interests me the most about the book is that we are stuck in different situations with each person. We start to realise the whole purpose of why her brother and many other children but then we uncover how 'The Other' are operating  and how you can never know what is lurking.

The only fault I had with the book was that I found  Cassie and Evan annoying. Example: When she was observing Evan's butt....wait a minute I thought you were dying..hmm suspicious. It just annoyed me because it was just cringeworthy. When Cassie had to you know remove some shrapnel from Evan's behind I couldn't stop laughing because it reminded me of the post Dodgy Book Covers Of 2014 (the cover What A Lady Demands) By The Diva Book Nerd and I just couldn't take it seriously. What annoyed me about Evan was that he was just plain creepy. Just creepy. Goodreads will agree with me on that, definitely. What really made me not throw my kindle across the room were the other supporting characters who added a bit of a flair to the story. My favourite would have to be Ringer, who you will meet during the book, and her fiery personality.

Overall, I did really enjoy the book and I will definitely be interesting into reading the rest of the trilogy and finding out what happens as I was left on a bit of a cliff hanger and I might as well just read it! If you are not into sci-fi read it, if you are read it!
note: I just found out that the book is becoming a film!! *fangirls for 15 minutes* I'm back to my normal state after some hardcore fangirling and gosh CHLOE GRACE MORTEZ IS GOING TO PLAY CASSIE! Alright, this film in my priority! January 2016 here I come!!!!!

Keep Reading,
Naomi...xxx
Share:

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you loved this book as much as I did! Cassie was a great character, and I also loved Evan. Unfortunately there's not nearly enough of them in the next book... there is Ringer though so I hope you love that as well!

    Recent post: http://enchantedbyya.blogspot.co.uk/2014/12/christmas-book-haul.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I nominated you for the Sisterhood of the World Bloggers Award: http://enchantedbyya.blogspot.com/2014/12/sisterhood-of-world-bloggers-award.html

    ReplyDelete