Friday 8 August 2014

The Fault In Our Stars-Film Review Friday||❤

So, I took a trip to the cinema with my friends so we could watch The Fault In Our Stars together and could laugh at our hideous crying faces. Being a big fan of the book I was expecting a lot from the film and the cast of the film and the director and wanted it to stay loyal to the book and it definitely did!
The film follows the lives of two teenage terminal-cancer patients Hazel-Grace Lancaster (Shailene Woodley) and Augustus Waters (Ansel Elgort). I'm going to add the amazon description from the dvd because I just tried to explain the film and put a hell lotta spoilers; Hazel and Gus are two teenagers who share an acerbic wit, a disdain for the conventional, and a love that sweeps them on a journey. Their relationship is all the more miraculous given that Hazel's other constant companion is an oxygen tank, Gus jokes about his prosthetic leg, and they met and fell in love at a cancer support group. Based on the best-selling novel by John Green.

I was so excited as soon as the film started and I really did find the first part funny to put up the mood in the cinema before the pain and tears hit you. I did hear a couple of sobs when the first said 'okay' to eachother which just made me smile a bit. A couple of people were sniffing quite loudly when he surprises her and a full on bawl near the end. I found that they missed out the most vital bits personally for me, in the book Augustus is explained so well whereas in the film he comes across as a creepy teen who likes to stare at 'beautiful' teens. We know nothing about Hazel's friend from highschool called Kaitlyn who she goes to the mall with and the part when a little girl asks Hazel if she can wear her Cannula, the swing set scene (the best one) and most importantly Augustus' deceased girlfriend Caroline Mathers. Those parts of the book were what I was waiting for in the film and was dissapointed when they didn't turn up.

My favourite character? Well of course it has to be Isaac, with his wide sense of humour he did steal the show. I would say next Hazel mainly because Shailene Woodley portrayed the character so well. I didn't really think that Ansel Elgort fitted Augustus for me, his smile did get quite annoying throughout the film and was just too jolly for my liking. It is good to always be bright but leave it for the right moments.
The ending!!! It spoilt the whole film for me the whole cinema literally stopped crying when the film ended. I could hear everyone saying, "The end just spoilt the film!" I kept straight face and didn't feel as moved from the letter in the film as the letter. I just didn't get ending it with "Okay Hazel Grace?" I thought Augutus sent the letter to Van Houten not Hazel Grace it just didn't make any sense to me and sat there as the light went on with a confused expression on my face.

Overall I would give the film a 3/5 because it didn't impress me a lot but I do have very high expectations. Maybe I'm a bit picky when it comes to films?

Naomi...xxx
Share:

0 comments:

Post a Comment