Monday 18 August 2014

The Maze Runner-A Book Review||❤

Hi Guys!
So today is a book review and the book I have recently finished is The Maze Runner by James Dashner. This always popped up on the Amazon page and was intrigued by the title and it did seem quite interesting. One of my friends told me to watch the movie trailer and I did which I feel bad for doing so because I always vow not to watch the film or trailer of a book before I read it. I watched the trailer expecting to be mind-blown and craving more like other trailers but it was all a big yawn for me. It just didn't get me excited enough for the book and I started to regret even buying it in the first place. It was just too much for me!
The goodreads description- "If you ain't scared, you ain't human." 

When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his name. He's surrounded by strangers--boys whose memories are also gone.

Outside the towering stone walls that surround the Glade is a limitless, ever-changing maze. It's the only way out--and no one's ever made it through alive.

Then a girl arrives. The first girl ever. And the message she delivers is terrifying."

So...... the description is quite off putting and doesn't really fit with the book to be honest. And what made me despise the book a tiny bit was on my copy it said, 'For people who love the Hunger Games.' No, just no. What I hate the most is comparing books to other books. I love the Hunger Games the books are just phenomenal but this book is nothing like the Hunger Games. I don't see any districts or a MIXED group of teenagers killing eachother to win the Games. First of all, the characters know nothing about where they are but in the Hunger Games they do. Wait, where is the tv broadcast and the star-crossed lover................still checking...... nope can't find it. Enough of my ranting let's actually talk about the book!

So the teens have had their memories wiped by WICKED. They have been sent to the Glade, where they reside, as an experiment to see how they would react and adapt to different situations. Once every month a new boy or a 'greenie' as they say is sent in a box to the Glade and every week food and medical supplies.Obviously the main goal is to escaped but the problem is they are surrounded by walls and behind those walls is the Maze. Every day at the same time each gate made out of stone- the North, South, East and West gates- opens and closes for the night. There is a twist, the Maze's walls rotate and move every single day and have done for the past 2 years. Every single day a group of runners would go out, map their routes then race back. But, the Maze is infested with slug like creatures with various metal weapons hidden beneath their slimy skin, with one fatal sting they can kill you unless you are quick enough to recieve the something Serum which is provided by the creators of the Maze. That's all I can really say about the book either I will go on for donkey years.

Overall I would give this book a 2/5 mainly because of the slow start, the sloppy 'romance', how it dragged on, the slang for me was impossible to understand, it seemed quite boring, I didn't connect with any of the characters, it was no surprise of what was going to happen, the description was cringeworthy. The only good thing about it was the plot and the concept of having the Maze but other than that, it wasn't a biggie for me. It did not excite me at all and I am desperately awaiting a book which actually will. If only the book was written well enough and the aggressive talk, which was meant to be intimidating, didn't make me snigger. Maybe I have gotten over the Dystopia phase a long time ago, maybe I just need to find another genre which will meet my standards.
Keep Reading,
Naomi...xxx
Share:

0 comments:

Post a Comment